Wednesday 28 February 2007

It’s Bennelong time since the rock’n’roll

...Bennelong lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time. It’s why Howard will lose.


In other news, I was forced to argue a position I disagreed with last night. This was because Sherd took the point of view I would normally have argued, thus forcing me to argue the opposite.

Why?

Well, what’s the point of all agreeing? You don’t learn anything that way.

We were watching Insight again and this time the farmers were whinging about water.

“Stuff ‘em” said Sherd, “They should have thought of it before. They made their choice, and they can’t expect people to bail them out just because the world has changed. That’s what happens – things change, people go under, businesses which are no longer viable fold.”

As I said, I have generally taken that line. I realised, through being forced to find a way to argue the point, that this sort of position is flawed.

I’ll use an example. Sherd and I come from similar backgrounds. One of the things people like us believe is that we’ve royally fucked over the indigenous people of this country. We wandered in here, claimed the whole joint by landing in one spot, and told them to deal with it.

So we agree in principle that we have a responsibility to disadvantaged people to help them, if it is our power to do so. The methods we use are often terrible – paternalistic, patronising, downright insulting in many cases.

But the intent is the same.

So we agree that we cannot expect a particular group of people to just suddenly cope when there is a significant shift in the priorities and aims of the dominant culture. We are not people who get the shits with drunks, homeless people, long term unemployed. A lot of these people are victims of circumstance. They have been taught their whole lives that the world works a certain way, and they have lived their lives to suit.

Suddenly they find out that the world has moved on, and they need to adapt. We believe they need to given a chance to do so, and some help if they need it.

How are farmers any different? Sure, they used wasteful practices for many years; they degraded the environment they were in. They lined their pockets with no thought for the future.

But they always had, and they didn’t know any different. Some would say that’s a pretty weak excuse, but it’s used for a lot of things.
And even if this was entirely their fault it doesn’t change the reality – there is not enough water, and a hell of a lot of farmers are going broke.


All of the solutions offered are going to cost money and are going to cause grief to various groups.

Carrying on with “I told you sos” doesn’t do a lot to help the situation. Some people even suggest that farms are unnecessary full stop, and we could shut them all down.
I’ll tell you what, you sit in the corner with Pauline Hanson and her 2% tax on everything while you read “Economics for Dummies”.

I am not arguing that farmers are right. Quite the opposite really. They’ve stuffed the joint up with unsustainable land management, by trying to force a European way of doing things onto a land which can’t handle it.

But all of us are complicit in this. We all benefit from relatively cheap groceries, good food standards and standard of living originally built on a century of farm prosperity.

So we need to change the way we do things on the land in this country. Whether we do it by appointing an autonomous body (politics), diverting a river from the tropics (stupidest idea I’ve heard since nuclear power) or getting people to move to where the water is (holy shit – you mean people aren’t welded into the Murray Darling Basin!?), I don’t know.

But whichever way we do it, let’s do it fairly and reasonably.

This country is quite mean enough already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even if the food was problematic it sounds like a good discussion.

One thing that gets up my nose - and it has done it a lot over the years - are narrow minded experts. You know the type, come along after you have been battling along trying to work things out and make a quid and tell you that you have been doing it all wrong and you should stop/do it differntly/are a criminal etc.

One of the advantages of age - not the only one - is that you may have a memory. I remember for instance the experts not just recommending, but requiring farmers to clear the brigalow in Qld. I remember other experts telling my dad to use stuff that I found out later was Agent Orange and that was after he was told by another expert to stop doing what a previous expert had told him about another herbicide.

I could go on but perhaps a summary would be that it seems to me that it would be hard to find a farming practice in use today - or yesterday - that was not recommended or required by those accountable and paid to give advice.

So yes, I agree completely that farmers have stuffed up a lot of the country. I don't necessarily think they are owed too much by the society and, now that we are coming to realise, belatedly, that the world has changed, I think that it is up to the farmers to adapt.

My guess is that farmers will adapt. Experts though, I will continue to look at askance. Don't trust them. I will listen but I will make my own decisions after I have looked well beyond their advice. And I refuse to burn just because some experts tell me to!

Anonymous said...

Oi, fucko, if you're going to quote me, at least get it right. My argument was with the "farmers have a right to the water because otherwise they can't farm" thing. Supply side solution, anyone? The other part was that they should get no more or no less support than any other person in the country facing the collapse of their business due to the vagaries of the markets.

So you probably could have had your own take on the argument and still been ok, if you'd actually listened to what I said.

I KNEW you were disagreeing just to be a pecker, pecker.

Did you get the paint off your arm?

Anonymous said...

why are we waiting - for you to say something about the scary man from WA? Or did you too have dinner/coffee/communion with him?