Wednesday 3 October 2007

There's klingons on the starboard bow..

..scrape them off, Jim.

Again, the internet is gone from our home. Never arrived actually. I’m on hold to Optus at the moment, trying to talk to that ridiculous voice system. So I’m scanning through some sites I look at occasionally.

Onlineopinion.com.au is an interesting case. Generally, for most of the political/ current issue type sites I read, the post serves mainly as a stimulus for robust discussion. As mentioned earlier, that normally doesn’t extend to news articles, but most blogs seem to attract enough reasonably intelligent commenters, whatever point they speak from, to get a good discussion going. That said, there are more than enough sycophantic love-in sites to go around, with hordes of regular commenters eager to jump to the defense of the poster should anyone new question their wisdom (I’m sure this isn’t unique to the more progressive side of politics – it’s just that the others seem to lack imagination and just end up at Ackerman or Bolt).

Back to OLO – it’s different. I find that I avoid reading the comments more and more on here. For every intelligent comment on OLO, there are five written by complete nutters WHO randomly CAPITALISE shit (incidentally, I think I might include that in my exploding cookie plan). I’ve thought about making comments in the past, but the nearest I got was a desire to pull someone up when they used the word “acronym” to describe an initialisation.

I really don’t have the energy. I recently heard it described as a blog by someone - it's not, but it does have some good articles.

And in a perverse reflection of Sherd’s weird fondness for science blogs, I have taken to reading a lot of economics blogs. There’s a few good Australian ones, like Quiggin and Club Troppo, and many more OS blogs. Because I am super intelligent I like to read them and then forget where they are because I assume I’ll remember the address.

Oh well. Here’s an example I was reading today. I’ve even added it to my bookmarks this time.

Now I have to write an essay. Photos later, perhaps.

Chao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Nabla. Don't read anything that depresses you or makes you cranky today.