Wednesday 8 August 2007

I like my sugar...

…with coffee and cream.

Which is pretty much what you get when you order a cappuccino from this place. This was a café in Antofagasta – a fairly unwelcoming sort of place in the north of Chile. While you can’t see much of the café, it does show the results of deciding to give your hair a trim with the clippers after some farewell drinks. It has mostly grown back. To my left was an electronics shop which sold, next to the washing machines and stereos, motorbikes. I was impressed.


This is the mall at Antofagasta. As you can see, k was very impressed with the town. We had to spend a couple of hours here while we waited for the bus to San Pedro de Atacama. We did originally have plans for staying at least a night – these were soon shelved and we decided it would be a top idea to spend the night on a bus instead.


And here is La Iglesia de San Pedro de Atacama. I’m not sure if that is the actual name, but it sounds pretty. Great little town, this, although I am told that in high season it can become a little touristy. It was very relaxed when we were there, though. Later in the day there were all sorts of flags and banners around the church as they geared up for some saints festival. I’ve always been a little against religion, but I will say that the Latin American version of Catholicism allows for a hell of a lot of parties for one reason or another.


This is a shot of the San Pedro bus terminal, such as it was. As I said below, a little disconcerting to get off a bus in the pitch black on the side of the road, but that was just our uncertainty avoidance poking out.




That’ll do for today – more of San Pedro to come.

Chao.

1 comment:

mangoman said...

The head! It doesn't look that bad I guess but it is different. Keep the pics coming